Five Reasons Writers should have Kids (Just for fun - I love children!)
1. Story Ideas - "Mommy, mommy, mommy! I found the passageway to the Six Future Worlds! The first one is Aiden World and you know you're there when you hear a crash. The second one is Foxyland. Want to come with me?" I promise the only sci-fi/fantasy I've read to him have been Disney fairy-tales.
2. Role-playing - Kids will gladly play any part you want them to when you need to act out a scene and they're very believable! (Okay, maybe not. But it IS great fun!)
3. Getting Places - For some reason. children have a way of seeing things that adults just can't. When they travel into space, explore the darkest cave or traverse the heart of an Amazon jungle, they can show you all the coolest places to hang out.
4. Names - Can't think of a cool name for your newest MC? Don't sweat it. Just go ask your kids! They can come up with the silliest things you can imagine most of the time, but occasionally, they'll drop you a gem.
5. Plot Holes - No, they're not going to fill them in for you. Kids have no idea what they are. nor do they have a concept of the suspension of disbelieve because they just naturally believe. But when you're having trouble with one, taking a time-out and focusing on them sure is a nice distraction and can bring all kinds of inspiration.