Saturday, August 22, 2009

Why I Write

I have always known that I could let my mouth run a mile a minute. In fact, I consider talking one of my favorite hobbies. Perhaps that sounds a little strange, not to mention annoying for anyone on the listening end, but I promise I only talk when people want to listen. For the rest, there's writing. Oh how I've fallen in love with the written word. I had no idea how much I would miss it! Fortunately for me, I do love moving as well, but I'm glad the writing part of me is back and going full throttle.

My reasons for asking why I write came about when Angie asked the question on her blog. So here's my list.



It's an Outlet - I already mentioned this above, but it's so much more than just rambling. I believe that when I write I put myself into it and, in turn, I take away so much more. I walk away a better mother and wife. (As long as they don't interrupt me while I'm in the middle of the process... lol)

It's for Understanding
- When I write, I become more introspective. I learn things about myself and the world around me that I normally wouldn't have taken the time to think about.

It's Creative - I have this intense desire to want to create things. When I was younger, I would play Dungeons and Dragons or those other table top role-playing games just so that I could create characters. Now, as a writer, not only do I get to create characters, but I get to create worlds for them to live in.

It's to Help - I have this crazy ambition to touch people's lives that began the first time a performance of mine brought someone to tears (the good kind) and this has spilled over into writing. If I can help someone else with the words I put on paper, nothing could be more worthwhile to me.

I'm sure if I sat here long enough, I could come up with many, many more reasons, but I have a fantasy to write, a world to color and characters to mold so here's a quick update on my WiP and then I'll stop rambling. Judging by my loose outline, I would say I'm about 2/3 of the way through it, though I do keep adding things here and there. I'm at 50k and getting to the really exciting parts! I've had to stop and go a bit through this section as I flesh out history/culture even more and to search for the world map I drew up. Granted, this meant unpacking all of our stuff, which arrived last thursday. It's taken three days, but we're d...almost...not quite done. I'm gonna go write anyway!

2 comments:

  1. Great post. I'm glad I got you thinking, and I love all the reasons you've stated. I never knew until after college how rewarding writing could be.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that talking is one of your favorite hobbies! You are an amazing person. :) I like your reasons. Writing is a wonderful creative outlet that helps me put everything else into focus as well. Your last reason is especially wonderful! :D

    ReplyDelete

Travel to Another Point of View