Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Midweek Mixer

Do you want a really likeable character? Here's a quote that I think will help you create one.


Charles Swindoll said: “Attitude, to me, is more important than the past, than money, than circumstances, than failures, than successes, than what other people think or say or do. It is more important than appearance, giftedness, or skill. It will make or break a company, a church, a home. The remarkable thing is we have a choice every day regarding the attitude we will embrace for that day.”

Characters with good attitudes are much easier to relate to than characters who are in perpetual pity part mode.Yes, there will be struggles and their must be weaknesses, but I find that when a character can look past the bad in their life and smile/continue on/fight despite it, that's a character I can really respect and love.

11 comments:

  1. Yees, that's worthYou may be on to something here! more than passing thought, I'd say. You may be on to something here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found that to be true in books, and in life as well. Yes, often attitude is a conscious choice, and it speaks volumes about a person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crap, no wonder I struggled so with the main character in my book - he's got a tough attitude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Absolutely, great point nisa :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hate pity party people in real life and in books. But I love a snarky, tough, don't mess with me I don't need your warm fuzzies character. (How's that for description!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree. A great character has attitude. I like characters with bad ass attitudes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great quote! It's definitely true that a character with a positive attitude is more likable than a character with a negative one--so long as the optimism is reasonable, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great quote! I love it. Also, I'd add that if the character can arc to that, it's a good thing to do. Just an idea. Have a great week~ :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Nisa -

    Wow! There's a lot to chew on in that quote.

    Blessings,
    Susan :)

    ReplyDelete

Travel to Another Point of View