Thursday, June 9, 2011

Improving productivity

I came across a blog post awhile back that had me so impressed that I asked the author, Katie Ganshert, if I could share her wisdom on my blog. She (being the totally sweet, awesome person she is) gave me permission to repost. I really think her advice will help a lot of people so I'll stop rambling and just post it.

Sometimes, having more time makes us less disciplined. And being less disciplined affects the way we use our time.

Sometimes, having more time makes us take that time for granted. And taking our hours for granted affects how productively we use them.

I think she is so right. What's more, she posted her plan to make the most of her time. Again, her goals are spot on!

Protect the time I've always had.
Just because I don't have to be somewhere, doesn't mean I should get up later. My writing time has always been in the morning, before my son wakes up. I'm not going to change that now. My alarm clock will beep at the same time it always has.

Make and stick to a schedule.
I'm a fan of schedules. It's the teacher in me. It's the mother in me. It's the control-freak in me. Whatever it is, I like them. Schedules offer a sense of security and bring order to the day. They ensure that there is a time to play, a time to nap. A time to clean, a time to cook. A time to read, a time to write. Anybody feel like they're reading Ecclesiastes?

Write short and long term goals.
I'm also a fan of goal-setting. They give me purpose and focus. The biggest thing I've learned, when it comes to goals, is to physically write them down. Not just think them. But write them. So I'm going to buy a notebook and record all my goals in one place.

Assess and adjust.
Just like a good little teacher checks in with her students and adjusts her instruction as needed, I need to check in with myself and adjust my routine and habits as needed. How am I doing as a wife? As a mother? As a writer? Where am I dropping the ball? How can I improve?

I took the hightlights from Katie's post. To read the whole thing go here.

5 comments:

  1. Thanks so much, for the kind words Nisa! I'm so glad the post resonated with you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember reading this on Katie's blog. Such great advice it was definitely worth repeating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent idea to share this! I can appreciate Katie's words even more the second time:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great advice. I see why you liked it so much. I know when my ankle was injured last year and I couldn't do anything but sit on the couch, I didn't write hardly at all! Schedules, goals, etc. Very important!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad you all liked it as much as I do! Sorry I haven't been great on commenting. I'm in limbo across the US. (On vacation) :)

    ReplyDelete

Travel to Another Point of View